Why Do I Need a Professional Dog Walker?
“Gosh, my neighbor’s kid is out walking dogs, all the time! And, she’s only 13 years old.
Why would anybody actually hire a professional dog walker? How hard can it be? Why are there actual “dog walker” businesses? Is there that much of a demand for pet care?” These are questions that I often hear…and, I even posed, before I’d heard about professional pet care. So, I thought I’d take this opportunity to answer these common questions.
Yes, walking a dog can be accomplished by a teen. It’s a good way for young people to gain experience in responsibility….and to step outside, away from the tv and video games. And, that option may be fine for pet parents with a hit-or-miss, occasional need for a dog walk. However, for more regular dog walking needs, it’s best to hire a professional dog walker. What do I mean by “professional?” Here are some things to look for in your pet sitting company:
- a full-time company with proven longevity and a track record of satisfied customers.
- a staff that is bonded and fully-covered with pet sitting insurance.
- Employee sitters vs Independent Contractors.
- Is an active member of at least one professional pet sitter organization.
- Secure software for easy payment and scheduling.
- Communicates in a timely manner.
- Genuinely cares about giving you and your pets the best service.
- Has systems in place for emergency situations.
- Supports local animal refuges and shelters.
- Has a Team of sitters to guarantee no breaks in service.
- Are they reliable?
- Warm, friendly sitters who truly enjoy being with your pets.
- Do they keep your information confidential?
- Do they offer a free initial meet and greet?
If the company you are interviewing doesn’t answer “Yes” to all of the above, you should consider continuing your quest to find the perfect match for you and your pets. The decision to hire “a stranger” to have access to your home and to care for your most precious animals is not to be taken lightly. And, although we LOVE our job and it’s a lot of FUN, it’s one we take very seriously.
“But, there’s an “animal nanny” out there who’ll do visits for less than your cost.” There are many “hobby” sitters out there who just do pet sitting “on the side.” They must answer “no” to many (if not all) of the questions, above. They’re not fully-invested or qualified to provide the best pet care. They probably charge very little….and, that’s for a reason. At Lucy’s Pet Care, we provide the highest quality of care, while still keeping our prices very affordable.
Want even more information? Check out: