How To Help Your Dog Lose Weight
- A cheat day here and there is okay, but you need to stick to the calorie limit that is appropriate for your dog. You can discuss with your vet what that may be, and what your dog’s goal weight should be.
- One source of excessive calories is giving your dog your scraps and bits of your food. That and the extra treats should be taken out of your dog’s diet if you want them to lose weight.
- You could utilize a therapeutic diet, with weight control food or metabolic diet. Keep an eye on the calories in the food that you buy. Dog food with L-carnitine help ramp up fat burning.
- Make sure your dog is getting the proper amount of exercise! Regular walks, tug-of-war, chase, fetch and general running are all great forms of activity to keep your dog mentally and physically active.
- Feed your dog more proteins and fewer carbohydrates. If you have the time and energy, you can make homemade dog food and turn your dogs weight loss into some family fun.
- Provide your dog with plenty of water! He will eat if he’s bored just like the rest of us.
- Reward your dog with fun, not treats. It will take some unlearning, but rewarding your dog with something fun instead of a calorie thick treat will help your dog lose weight.