‘Tis the season for treats, sweets, and all things delicious! But, why should we have all of the yummy food this holiday season? When you’re prepping for your holiday baking, you should think about including a little something special for your cat, too.
Our Top 3 Cat Treats Recipes You Can Make at Home
1. Tasty Tuna Treats
- 1 can of tuna, in oil
- 1 tbsp dried catnip
- 1 egg
- 1 cup rice or oat flour
- extra olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 350˚F
- Combine drained tuna, rice or oat flour, egg and catnip in a bowl and mix thoroughly until combined.
- The mixture should hold together, but not be too sticky.
- If the mixture is too dry, you can add a little extra olive oil
- Roll the dough into ½ teaspoon sized balls and place on a lined cookie sheet
- Flatten with the back of a spoon.
- To add the heart-shaped pattern, you can use a stencil or improvise with the spoon and a knife.
- Press the heart shape gently into the top of the treat so that it leaves an indented heart shape pattern.
- Place the treats into the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes until they are dry and slightly golden on top.
- Store in a Tupperware for up to 7-10 days (if they last that long).
2. Fur-Baby Food Bites (Microwavable!)
- 3 jars baby food meat (or veggies)
- 1 and 1/2 c wheat germ (or cream of wheat)
- small amount of tuna juice
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Dip about around 1/4 spoonfuls onto wax paper covered plate
- cover with wax paper.
- Cook in microwave on high for 5-8 minutes until formed and firm.
- Store in fridge.
IMPORTANT: Make sure the baby food doesn’t have onion powder or garlic/garlic powder, these could be harmful to your cat.
3. Cheesy Cat Morsels
- 3/4 cup white flour
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine cheeses and yogurt.
- Add flour and cornmeal.
- If it’s too dry add a small amount of water to create a nice dough.
- Knead dough into a ball and roll to 1/4 inch.
- Cut into one inch sized pieces and place on greased cookie sheet. Bake for 25 minutes.