The Girl and the Starfish
A cynical old man was walking along a deserted beach at sunset. As he walked, he could see a young girl in the distance. As he drew nearer he noticed that the girl kept bending down, picking something up and throwing it into the water. Time and again, she kept hurling things into the ocean.As the man approached even closer, he was able to see that the girl was picking up starfish that had been washed up on the beach and, one at a time, was throwing them back into the water. The man asked the girl what she was doing and the girl replied,”I’m throwing these washed up starfish back into the ocean, or else they will die. “But”, said the man, “You can’t possibly save them all, there are thousands on this beach, and this must be happening on hundreds of beaches along the coast. You can’t possibly make a difference.” The girl looked down, frowning for a moment; then bent down to pick up another starfish, smiling as she threw it back into the sea. She replied,
“I made a difference to that one!”
This story embodies the heart of our philanthropic efforts for animal welfare. We believe every step we take toward helping a needy animal is of great importance…to one and to many.
Pet Sitting for a Good “Paws” Program
An overwhelming number of animals are brought to our nation’s shelters every year. Because the shelters don’t have the resources to support them all, millions of animals are destroyed. Although, we can’t save them all, we’ve pledged to help organizations in their efforts to save as many pets as possible. With our Pet Sitting for a Good “Paws” Program, we donate a portion of our proceeds to Saving Grace, The Goathouse Refuge, APS of Durham, RescueMe, Snowflake Animal Rescue and Calvin’s Paws. These non-profit organizations take-in pets that might otherwise be destroyed. They make a difference in the lives of unwanted pets by providing them with necessary medical attention, food, socialization and lots of love, until such time as they find their forever homes. We’re so grateful for the many loved family pet companions that we’re privileged to care for every day. Thank you for entrusting us with the well-being of your beloved pets. Every visit we make for you helps us to support these terrific animal organizations. If you are looking to adopt, foster or re-home a pet, in addition to the aforementioned organizations, we highly-recommend “Rescue Me!” Lucy found a wonderful new pet parent for a senior dog that she was fostering, by using this FREE organization’s services.
In addition to local animal rescue groups, we also support Vanderpump Dogs. This is a non-profit organization headed by Lisa Vanderpump and her husband Ken Todd. The purpose of this charity is to end the annual Chinese Yulin Festival. This event is all about the barbaric, torturous, horrendous treatment of dogs. Vanderpump Dogs works to rescue dogs and to affect changes in legislature to stop this event.
- December 2010, we raised $1200 for Goathouse Refuge and Coalition to Unchain Dogs. A fun-filled night at Broad Street Cafe in Durham, with delicious vegetarian foods, valuable raffle prizes and terrific dancing to DJ Michael’s Music to benefit these two local organizations that do great work in helping needy cats and dogs.
- January 2012, Lucy adopted Bandit from Goathouse Refuge.
- December 2013, Lucy adopted Sammy Star from Saving Grace.
- March 2014, we organized a Blanket and Towel Drive to collect donations to take to Saving Grace.
- May 2014, we sponsored the Durham APS Walk for the Animals.
- Lucy has volunteered with Calvin’s Paws.
- July 2014, we sponsored three dogs from Coalition to Unchain Dogs.
- August 2014, we donated services and a pet blanket to benefit Independent Animal Rescue’sPainted Chair fundraiser.
- September 2014, to help other animal advocates, we initiated our Foster Pet Parent Discount. See “Specials” page for details.
- October 2014, we held a Blanket and Towel Drive to benefit The Goathouse Refuge.
- May 2015, Proud Sponsor of the Durham APS 2015 “Walk for the Animals.”
- June 2015, Donated Blankets and Towels to Calvin’s Paws
- August 2015, Sponsored Independent Animal Rescue Painted Chair Auction.
- All of 2015, Lucy made and sold fleece pet blankets to benefit needy dogs and cats.
- September 2017: We donated a box of gently-used shoes to assist Carolina Adopt a Bulls’ fundraising event.
- October 2017: Donated Premium Food, Treats & Supplies to the Durham APS.
February 2019: Lucy adopted Midas from Orange County Animal Shelter.
April 2019: Lucy adopted Shadow from The Goathouse Refuge.
July 2020: Lucy re-opened her Lucy’s Pet Blankets Shop. She makes blankets to donate to local animal shelters, as well as to sell. A portion of every sale is donated to help needy animals. Shop on our website on the Shop Pet Blankets page.
Have More Questions? Ready To Request A Booking? Contact Us, Today!
Lucy’s Pet Care offers pet sitting and dog walking services in Durham, North Carolina
Zip codes 27701, 27705, 27707 and 27713