What is the Best FIRST Pet for my Family?
A Guide to Choosing Your Family’s First Pet
It can be hard to pick out the best first pet for your family, but, luckily we have some great information to help you along the way.
Cats & Dogs
The friendship between a child and his dog or cat is a tale as old as time; palling around and growing up together, but it’s not always as picturesque as it seems. Cats and dogs need a good amount of dedication and time which can be tricky for a new or busy family.
Best Breeds of Cats for Family
- Maine Coon – extremely friendly and playful, but also easy going
- Manx – very sweet and loving
- Burmese – very affectionate and charming, but they really really love attention
- Ragamuffin – docile, relaxed and incredibly cuddly
Best Breeds of Dogs for Children
- Basset Hound – loving and gentle and very loyal
- Beagle – energetic and friendly
- Boston Terrier –highly intelligent, full of energy and affection
- Golden or Labrador Retriever – even-tempered, easy to train and very friendly these breeds are often thought of as the quintessential family dog
Caged pets can make an excellent first pet for a family. While they still need TLC, they are much more autonomous in their habitats.
Lizards can make great pets for families.
- Leopard Geckos
- Green Anoles
While maintenance of the cage can be a little bit of a challenge, caged rodents are perfect for a busier family with older children who are just learning how to care for animals.
- Guinea pigs
If properly cared for, beta fish can live up to 3 years and goldfish even longer. They are prefect for all families; just make sure you’re prepared to have the “going to the great big toilet seat in the sky” conversation with your kids.
- Betta Fish
- Brine Shrimp
What was your first family pet? Sound off below and let us know!